Well, we're a little over
of month into our lives with these boys. And, simply put, we could
not be happier. It's hard to believe it's only
been a month, as everything about this situation feels so much
longer. I mean, the amount of love we have for them after just a
month. The improvements they've made after just a month. I don't
how this has all happened to quickly, but it has and I love it.
One
of the hardest parts of taking these boys into our home has been
adjusting on the fly. We didn't have the luxury of a nine month
pregnancy, or going through the growing pains that comes with raising
a boy to almost five years old. We just got the very raw,
(un)finished product in Pirate. There are many times when we're not
sure if Danielle and I are feeling wrong or misplaced
frustrations/emotions. When I talk to parents who have or have raise
similarly aged boys, they laugh and tell me that it's normal. But,
again, they were able to grow into those emotions, whereas we've had
roughly five weeks to figure it out.
In
the last post (regrettably so long ago!) I mentioned that the boys
had a court hearing at the beginning of the month. That was
certainly an experience I could do without ever reliving (although,
it will probably repeat itself many times over). A little recap for
you. The hearing was scheduled at 11 am, so the boys and I arrived
around 10:20 (Danielle had to work, but was able to join us for the
actual hearing). We didn't get called into the court room until
around 4:30. So I had the honor of spending six blissful hours with
their family. As the hearing took place on a day when they normally
would have had a visit (which was canceled as a result of the
hearing) I decided that the biological families could care for the
boys all day. This proved extremely tough to sit back and watch, as
I could see a few weeks of hard work with Pirate being thrown out in
just a few hours. The mom and her family are just pure chaos. Their
primary form of discipline all day long appeared to be screaming at
Pirate and telling him the boogyman would eat his hands if did this
or that. Shockingly, this proved to be extremely ineffective. As he
got more and more wild and out of control, I pulled him aside a
couple times and calmly explained to him what he needed to do and
what the consequence would be if he disobeyed again. As they
witnessed him listening to and respecting me, I feel as if some
jealousy started to set in. At one point, their lovely mother
decided that a cigarette was more important than Pirate, who she left
screaming on the floor (an act made all the more delightful by the
fact that she is supposedly pregnant again). Little Man's dad was
also there. He is a lot more of a sympathetic character. He has no
clue how to be a father by any stretch of the imagination (as
evidenced by him trying to feed his toothless ~7 month old son some
cheese curls), but he means well. Although we want to keep these
boys forever, we'd feel a little bit better with Little Man going
with his dad than we would with either of them going to their mom or
grandmother. It's hard to imagine a good outcome if they wind up
with them. The grandmother repeatedly told me and the agency
caseworker how badly she wants Pirate to come home with her. Broke
down in tears and said she would die if she didn't get Pirate. Which
sounds sweet and all until you realize she never once mentioned her
other grandchild who is at stake as well. Whether she assumes Little
Man will go with his dad and they'll figure it out from there on
their own, I'm not sure. Still, it was extremely off putting that
she only seemed to care for the placement of one of her
grandchildren.
As
we stood outside the courtroom waiting for the case before ours to
conclude, the mom and grandmother began yelling at the county and
agency caseworkers how they think it's very inappropriate for me to
show affection towards Pirates (presumably, they saw him kiss me on
the cheek earlier in the day, an act that I don't think I returned,
but who cares if I did). As our caseworkers stood there taking this
nonsense (with me stand about ten feet behind them at the time), they
did they're best to laugh them off. They tried to explain to the
family that at his age, Pirate needs to know he is loved. I know
this family can't see the fact that we are caring for their children,
but it was still rough to listen to such garbage. I'm not sure what
their goal was by bringing this up, but whatever it was it didn't
work. Again, I believe this was an instance of some jealousy, as
they could see how their kids acted towards me after just a few
weeks. After spending a day with them, they strike me as the kind of
people who have gotten their way in life by yelling and bullying
people into agreement. Thankfully, both our agency and county
caseworkers are extremely resilient as refuse to back down from what
they know is right. It feels awesome having so many people on our
side, after such a short time.
Any
way, after about six hours of waiting, we were finally called into
the court room. Danielle was able to come in just after the hearing
started. As this hearing was a continuation of the prior hearing, we
got to hear a lot about the family's personal issues which led to the
kids being removed. While I can't reveal those details publicly, I
can say that learning more has given us some more hope that we could
keep these boys forever. Of course, no matter how horrible a family
may be (and this family is pretty lousy), the placement is always up
to the judge. Hopefully, she will see that we are the better option
for these boys to grow up with. The end result of the hearing was
that they next one would be in three months (so, sometime in March at
this point). At that hearing, they'll look at the efforts that the
different family members are making to get the boys back. After
that, they could decide to leave the boys with us for a determined
amount of time or they could decided that the families are ready to
take them back. Obviously, we're rooting for the former option.
Since
the hearing, the mom has moved into an apartment. This was a big
issue for her, as she was essentially homeless and lived with a
string of friends and family. Based on some things we've heard, we
have our doubts that this apartment will pass in the eyes of the
judge, but you never know. Regardless, in her mind, this was all she
needed to do and she is now qualified to get her kids back (this is
not true at all, but it's hard to say what goes on in this lady's
mind). She has begun to tell Pirate that he gets to come how now,
going as far to say that she painted his room so it was all ready for
him to come home. However, upon hearing this, Pirate replied that he
“already has a room at Tim and Danielle's. I don't need any more
rooms.” I wish I could have seen her face when he said that. He
has told us on many occasions that he wants to stay here forever with
us and his baby brother. It's hard, because we don't know how to
reply to this. Obviously, we would want nothing more than to keep
these precious boys for life. Yet, we don't want to promise things
that we can't deliver. So, instead, we just keep trying to make sure
they know how much we love both of them.
It
was a blast having kids this Christmas. It was also a little
overwhelming how family and friends treated them (in an
overwhelmingly positive way). No one treats these kids like they're
just some temporary foster kids. Everyone from the start has acted
like these are our children, no matter how long they are with us. We
tried to caution various family members against buying too much, if
anything, for the boys. Obviously, we planned on spoiling them
without hesitations. Still, we are trying in any way to protect
family and friends from the heartbreak we know will happen if these
kids do not end up staying with us forever. Despite our efforts, no
one held back in giving to these boys. It's amazing how loved they
are by everyone. Given that my family all lives out west, they
haven't had the chance to meet them yet. Nevertheless, they and
Danielle's family have treated them just like every other
nephew/cousin/grandchild/whatever. It is genuinely one of the most
overwhelming feelings knowing that we have a huge network that
already loves these boys as if they've been here from birth.
We
leave for Ohio for Christmas with Danielle's family tonight after the
boys finish their visit with their mom and grandmother. We're so
excited that they're getting the chance to feel love from even more
family.
No comments:
Post a Comment