Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Great Big Pile Of Love.

Over the last couple weeks, a few friends said that we should update this more regularly. To be fair, they were probably just being nice and wanted to make me feel good. But joke's on them because now you're getting an update.

Since the last update, things have been going very well. Pirate had a four day stretch where the meltdowns and outbursts were near apocalyptic. But other than that brief period, he's been pretty good. Pirate's behavior continues to struggle a bit before and after visits with his mother and grandmother. Given that these visits happen three times a week (except for the numerous ones they have been canceling lately), it's hard to develop a routine of great behavior. His attitude begins to shift for the worse in the hours leading up to the visits; more often than not, he comes home extremely wound and misbehaving (not shocking, given that I'm sure he receives little or extremely ineffective discipline while on these visits). It takes until the next afternoon to get him back to the good behavior we know he can exhibit. But by this time, it's a little over 24 hours until the next visit and the cycle begins to repeat. We've asked the county if there is a way we could reduce the number of visits (while still allowing the same number of overall hours). It seems doubtful that this could happen, but we truly believe that Pirate's behavior will not completely improve until there is more separation from their family.

Little Man has been predictably great. He's definitely getting spoiled lately, so we're working on not catering to his every need (if you saw his face, you would understand how tough this can be!). Unfortunately for you, one of the downsides of fostering is that we're not allowed to put pictures of these kids on any type of social media, so I guess you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Their visits are becoming an ever increasing source of frustration. The mother has repeatedly called the agency on us, complaining about the “filth” the boys are living in. Her proof? A couple dog hairs that were stuck on their clothes. Horrible, right? She also complained multiple times that we were not sending any of the toys they bought along to the visits. First of all, we were under no obligation to send these toys with the boys. But more importantly, we were, in fact, sending all but a couple over sized toys to every visit. Eventually, she demanded that we send back every single toy or clothing item they had given the boys. This was actually awesome for us, as it freed up some room in our home. Luckily for us, any of the county or agency people just seem to roll their eyes at her. They dealt with he longer than we have and know exactly what she is like. Still, it's frustrating to have accusations cast on you by such an unqualified human being. But once again, we have the best possible group of people defending our honor and only allowing what is best for the boys.

One of the things I don't think we were fully prepared for when we took in kids was the sickness. I'm not talking about a cough here or a runny nose here. But all the time, “I feel like I'm dying” sickness. Okay, maybe not that bad, but I would say at least one of the four of us has been sick at any given time since the boys came to live with us. Little Man recently fought off a double ear infection that kept him up all night for about a week until the medication was able to take effect. It's non-stop and it's annoying. I also assume this is just standard operating procedure for the next 10 years or so. On the upside, I finally got to experience explosive vomit. I always assumed parents were being dramatic in their descriptions of such events. But no, this was something straight out The Exorcist. Pretty incredible stuff.

The boys have a hearing coming up in early March. From what we've been told, this one will take place in front of a hearing office, as opposed to their judge. As I understand it, this has two big implications: first, we should be in and out of the hearing quickly (instead of another 8+ hour adventure with the family); second, given that the judge is not presiding over this hearing, no major changes should take place. This hearing is more of a progress report for the parents, to see if they are doing what the need to be doing. But it should not change their status with us. So, presumably, they will still be with us long after this hearing. As the case is progressing, we're feeling more and more confident that the boys will not go back to the maternal family. Pirate's father is not in the picture and/or not an option. Little Man's father is doing some of the things he needs to do to get him back. Other parts, he has yet to even begin doing. So, we're a little nervous that Little Man could be placed with him eventually. Obviously, we would do anything in our power to keep these boys together and in our home. Unfortunately, as we've said countless times, it is ultimately not up to us. We try not to think about one of both of them being taken from us, but it's a hard aspect to ignore. Pirate would be devastated if his little brother was gone. We're not sure what influence that could have on the final outcome, but we certainly hope it is at least considered. We just need to keep doing the best job we can and hope that the judge recognizes that we are the best option for the boys going forward.

Last week, as Pirate and I were playing on the couch, he randomly asked me if Danielle was a mom. I in turn asked him if he thought she was. He said yes. I asked him who's mom she was and he pointed to himself and Little Man. I repeated this same line of questioning in regards to me. Shortly after, apropos to nothing, he stated that he was going to call me dad. At various, if inconsistent, points during the next few days, he has addressed me as dad. Part of me thinks he is doing it because he knows we like to hear it. Nevertheless, this incredibly moving and validating, yet also tough to handle. Certainly, we're not going to force or even really encourage him to call us mom or dad. At the same time, I don't think we're going to correct him when he does use those terms. Clearly, this is a child who is growing more comfortable being in a loving household every day. As with most children, the people who take care of him and love him unconditionally are mom and dad. But at times, he seems confused by this, since he has another mom. So, I think, we're going to let it ride. If he calls us Tim or Danielle, great! If he happens to call us Mom or Dad, wonderful. He needs to grow into it at whatever speed is comfortable for him. I'm sure, however, that his biological mother will lose her mind the first time he says it at a visit. I don't want to say that's an added bonus, but...


I'd promise to try to be more regular with updates, but hey, what's the use in making promises I probably won't keep?

No comments:

Post a Comment